Effective March 19, 2021
- Explains the types of Personal Information we may collect from and about you, as well as how we may disclose, use, and protect that information.
- Applies to information we collect about visitors to the HiTech CPA website (“Website”) and users of HiTech CPA’s California state sales tax estimation (“Content”).
- Applies to current and former customers of HiTech CPA as well as to those visitors to the HiTech CPA website who do not become customers of HiTech CPA.
- It does not apply to the practices of third parties that HiTech CPA does not own or control, or to individuals that HiTech CPA does not employ or manage.
The following sections outline the types of Personal Information HiTech CPA handles on your behalf and what our practices are for ensuring the protection and privacy of that Personal Information. The completeness and accuracy of the data you provide to HiTech CPA is initially your responsibility.
- Types of Personal Information Collected
Personal Information that you provide through the Website: When you visit the Website or use the Content, we may collect Personal Information about you when you voluntarily provide such information, including from the following categories and sources:
- Information we receive when you create an account or request Content from us or information from us or companies with whom we have business relationships, or when you complete surveys or polls, such as your name, address, e-mail address and payment or billing information.
- Information you provide to ultimately use in to prepare your California state sales tax return.
- Information we collect via APIs which include your transaction history.
- Information we receive when providing technical or customer support for you.
Sales Tax Information
In helping you reach estimates relevant to California state sales tax for restaurants and related industries, we collect information about you, some of which could be historical, such as:
- Tax Identification Number
- Business Information, as well as, your online transaction history and sales taxes collected
- Total previous tax payments
- Other relevant information needed for you to process your any California state sales returns for restaurants and related industries
- Personal Information We Receive Automatically
When you interact with HiTech CPA through the Website or its Content, we receive and store certain information, which is collected passively using various technologies, and cannot presently be used to specifically identify you.
HiTech CPA may store this information itself or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by HiTech CPA affiliates, agents, or service providers. The Hitech CPA may use such information and pool it with other information to track, for example, the total number of visitors to our Website, the number of visitors to each page of our Website, and the domain names of our visitors’ Internet service providers. It is important to note that no Personal Information is available or used in this process.
We may also collect information through the use of a software technology called “cookies.” Internet cookies allow us to customize our Website for you by placing small files on your computer as you visit various components of the Website.
You can choose to decline cookies while at our Website, however, this may limit your ability to access certain areas of the Website. Most browsers accept and maintain cookies by default.
We also may employ a software technology called beacons or tracking pixels that help us better manage content on our Website by informing us what content is effective and which pages visitors view. These pixels are a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. Like cookies, these pixels are not tied to users’ personally identifiable information.
Like most standard website servers, we use log files. Information collected in log files may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Advertising networks that may serve ads on our website may assign a different cookie to you. These cookies may be used to select which ads you see and determine the effectiveness of this advertising. You may choose to decline cookies from third-party ad servers, which HiTech CPA does not control, without prejudice to your ability to use the Website or its Content.
Aggregated Personal Information
In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve our users, HiTech CPA may sometimes conduct research on its customer demographics, interests, and behavior based on the Personal Information and other information provided to us. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and HiTech CPA may share this aggregate data with its affiliates, agents, and business partners. This aggregate information does not identify you personally. HiTech CPA may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our products to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
- Personal Information Use and Processing
- If you contact us by email, we will use the Personal Information you provide to answer your question or resolve your problem. Also, if you provide Personal Information in order to obtain access to our Website and its Content, we will use your Personal Information to provide you with access to said website and its Content and to monitor your use of same.
- We may use your Sales Tax Information to prepare and present your sales tax summary, and to provide related support and other possible content you may also find useful. HiTech CPA and its possible subsidiaries and affiliates (“Related Companies”) may also use your Personal Information and other personally non-identifiable information collected to help us improve the content and functionality of our Website and its Content, to better understand our users and to improve our products. HiTech and its affiliates may use this information to contact you in the future to tell you about possible information we believe will be of interest to you. If we do so, each marketing communication we send you will contain instructions permitting you to “opt-out” of receiving future marketing communications.
- We offer various communication platforms (such as contact us forms) to speak with a support or sales representative. Various communications platforms are not encrypted and you should not supply more personal or tax information than is required to address your specific issue. A record of your communication session with HiTech CPA may be generated and retained, and may be used to resolve current and potential future questions or issues.
- We retain the history of your transactions. This information may also be used to provide you with a copy of your Sales Tax Information history for your convenience.
HiTech CPA processes Personal Information as necessary for the following legitimate business interests:
- To respond to your inquiries, comments, feedback or questions;
- To manage our relationship with you, which includes sending administrative information to you relating to our Website and its Content and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and asking you to possibly leave a review or take a survey;
- To analyze how you interact with our website and its Content and provide, maintain and improve the content and functionality of same and our customer relationships and experiences, develop our business and inform our marketing strategy;
- To administer and protect our business and the Website and its Content, prevent fraud, criminal activity, or misuses of our Website and its Content, and to ensure the security of our IT systems, architecture and networks (including troubleshooting, testing, system maintenance, support and hosting of data); and,
- To comply with legal obligations and legal process and to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or other third parties, and enforce our terms and policies.
We may contact you to provide information we believe will be of interest to you. For instance, if you elect to provide your email address, we may use that information to send you promotional information about our products. If we do, where required by law, we will only send you such emails if you consent to us doing so at the time you provide us with your Personal Data. You may opt out of receiving emails by following the instructions contained in each promotional email we send you or by contacting us. If you unsubscribe from our marketing lists, you will no longer receive marketing communications but we will continue to contact you regarding our Website and its Content and to respond to your requests.
- Disclosures of Personal Information to Third Parties
HiTech CPA is not in the business of selling your personal or sales tax return information to anyone. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below and in the section above:
- We may use service companies on our behalf to perform certain business-related functions. Examples of such functions include mailing information, maintaining databases, processing payments, providing business valuations, etc. When we employ or utilize another entity to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function.
- We may disclose your name or testimonials that you provide for advertising or marketing purposes.
- We may disclose your information to affiliates or non-affiliated third parties when we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is required by law. This may occur in connection with a court order, legal process, or other judicial, administrative or investigative proceeding that produces a request for information from HiTech CPA.
- Should we sell, merge, or transfer any part of our business, part of that sale may include your personal information. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, Personal Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- If we are compelled to surrender Personal Information to legal authorities if presented with a court subpoena or similar legal or administrative order, or as required or permitted by the laws, rules, and regulations of any nation, state or other applicable jurisdiction.
- Third Party Services
In connection with the promotion or your use of the Website and its Content, we enable linking with various third-party services and products (“Third-Party Service”, “Third-Party Services”). These Third-Party Services may include tax return preparation, refund processing, professional tax review, audit defense, business valuation, and sale of business, among others. If you decide to use Third-Party Services, you are responsible for reviewing and understanding the terms and conditions governing any Third-Party Services.
When you add any Third-Party Service account, we will collect relevant information necessary to enable the Website and its Content to access that Third-Party Services and your data contained within that Third-Party Service.
- Data Privacy by Design and by Default
Data protection is a significant consideration in all that we do at HiTech CPA. We design and implement processes and technologies that allow us to collect Personal Information that is adequate, relevant, and limited to what is necessary for the related purposes of processing. We try to only allow for the collection of necessary data and prevent the intake of irrelevant data.
The Personal Information we collect and need to run our business and provide our products is not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with the specified, explicit, and legitimate original purposes of collection. To us, data protection must be the default whenever we handle Personal Information and not just an optional privilege for individuals.
- Transparency and Consent
Our methods of consent and our privacy notices are presented in a fashion that is comprehensible, easily accessible, in clear and plain language, and clearly distinguishable from the other matters. We offer consent only in circumstances where it is freely given. If we seek to rely on your consent in order to process certain Personal Information, you have the right to withdraw your consent subsequently. This does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on consent before its withdrawal. As it pertains to marketing, if at any time you prefer not to receive further communications from us in any or all forms, you will have the ability to unsubscribe from such communications by means of a link provided in every email that is sent to you by us or by sending in a request via this form [insert opt out form].
- Information Security
HiTech CPA has technological and operational security processes in place to protect the Personal Information provided to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or email transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, email sent to or from our platform may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Information to HiTech CPA via the Internet.
Furthermore, only authorized HiTech CPA officials will have access to information provided by you and each official with access to Personal Information is obligated to maintain its confidentiality.
To report a security vulnerability, incident, or to ask a related question, please feel free to contact us.
- How Long We Keep Personal Information
We keep your Personal Information only for as long as it is warranted to fulfill our commitments to you, or to adhere to legal or regulatory requirements. If you are a customer or partner, we keep the information for the duration of our relationship. Certain information may be kept for longer though, for instance contracts will be archived even when terminated.
If you have requested to receive marketing communications, we will keep your Personal Information only for as long as you interact with us. When Personal Information is expired, or is no longer needed and does not have to be retained, we may return, delete, destroy, or anonymize it, depending on what method is systematically and procedurally possible, most secure, and what our related retention commitments are. Where consent is the legal basis for which we process the Personal Information, your consent may be withdrawn at any time and you may be able to direct the manner in which your Personal Information is processed.
- Collection and use of Children’s Personal Information
Please note that the website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children on the website. If HiTech CPA discovers that it has inadvertently collected Personal Information from anyone younger than the age of 18, it will delete that Personal Information when discovered.
- Jurisdiction-specific Provisions
International Transfers of Personal Information
Our Website is hosted in the United States and information we collect will be stored and processed on our servers or servers intended for our use in the United States. Our employees, contractors, officers, and affiliated organizations that process information for us as described above may be located in the United States or in other countries outside of your home country; by using the Website, you consent to the international transfer of your information by HiTech CPA, as necessary to fulfill your requests and our contract with you.
United States – California Residents
This section provides additional details about the personal information we collect about California consumers, as well as, the rights of California consumers under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
How We Collect, Use, and Disclose your Personal Information. The section “Types of Personal Information Collected” describes in detail the Personal Information we may have collected over the last 12 months, including identification information, internet activity information, and Sales Tax Information. We have collected such Personal Information directly from you and from your interaction with the Website and its Content.
Your CCPA Rights and Choices. As a California consumer and subject to certain limitations under the CCPA, you have choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information:
- Exercising the right to know. You may request, up to twice in a 12-month period, the following information about the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information;
- the business or commercial purpose for which we collected the personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information; and,
- the categories of personal information about you that we disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed that information for a business purpose.
- Exercising the right to delete. You may request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you, subject to certain limitations under applicable law.
- Opt out of sales. California residents have the right to instruct businesses that sell their personal information to stop doing so. HiTech CPA, however, does not sell your personal information.
- Non-discrimination. The CCPA provides that you may not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
How to exercise your privacy rights under the CCPA
To exercise your rights under the CCPA, please use our privacy request form located on this page. Upon receipt of the privacy request form, please indicate which right your request is for and provide a description to help us understand the nature of your request. Your authorized agent may submit requests in the same manner.
In order to fulfill any rights requests, we are required to verify your identity so please be aware that we may need to request additional information that will be used for that purpose.
- Changes to our Privacy Statement
- we will post a notice on our website describing the change; or,
- Communication with us about Privacy
Personal Data Removal Request: